Sunday, March 10, 2013

'Nearly Raw' HAIKU ROLLS Recipe

Alright, first I'll address the elephant in the room.  Yes, it seems that I'm posting... again.  So much for quitting but I wanted to post this recipe and I realized the best place for recipes is still here.  

So, here we go again :)




FIRST STEP
Into a large bowl add the following ingredients then MASSAGE WELL
to wilt the kale and spinach and get the garlic flavor in there.
4 large leaves Lacinato Kale, torn or cut into bite size pieces
Handful of Spinach
a Tbs or so EVOO
1 tsp Garlic powder or finely chopped

SECOND STEP
After the greens are nice and soft add the following to the bowl
1-2" inches Ginger root, fresh grated
(if you don't have fresh then use powdered in the first step)
2 large Carrots, grated
1 C of either Diakon Radish or Jicama (I used Jicama)
1 grated small garlic &/or dill Pickle
(yes, I said Pickle! Just do it :)
1/4 C Red Onion, chopped (optional, not in the picture)
Juice of half a Lemon
1-2 Tbs Nama Shoyu or low sodium soy sauce
 1 Tbs Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce or to taste
(I've recently become seriously addicted to this stuff and I need to just make my own homemade without the chemicals and preservatives but until then...)    
Now stir well getting all ingredients and sauce even distributed.
You can even let it sit a few minutes to really get the flavors incorporated.

FINAL STEP
This may be the hardest part for some people but give it a try anyway.
If you just can't get the Rice Paper you could use Nori Sheets
or at the very least you could just eat what you have as a slaw.
 Vietnamese Rice Paper
Bamboo Sushi Mat
Prepare rice paper according to directions or basically just dip in very hot water
for a minute until soft.  Now this next part is important, especially if you used Jicama... 
you will need to squeeze out the extra liquid from the 'slaw' before wrapping in the rice
paper.  Don't squeeze it dry, but you don't want it running down your chin, arms, etc. 
Then wrap as normal.  Use the remaining liquid as a dip.
 
Alright... so I guess this blog isn't quite finished.  For those of you still hangin' around, I guess I'll just keep you guessing as to when and what I may postAlthough... if you have any requests, I'd love to hear them and maybe even follow up for a change :)
Love and Light from West Texas!




No comments: